Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The End of a STRESSFUL Day!!

Well I find myself sitting here with so much to write but no energy to do so...... So I will keep it brief.

Endoscopy - Got to the hospital at 8:45am, went to the infusion center to do paperwork and have an IV put in. All was well until the IV when after 5 tries and 3 nurses (one NICU, one head nurse) and still no IV we went to the operating/procedure room for the nurses/doctors there to try. The problem was that Lauren's veins were blowing out because she has such squiggly little veins it was hard to find good ones and when they did the catheter would blow it out. So after 5 more sticks and no IV, yes that's right 10 tries and NOTHING other then Lauren screaming, Mommy crying and Daddy holding her down it was decided by the antheseologist to put the IV in her neck, so he did and the rest went well. They gave her a sedative and good night she went. The endoscopy revealed that she has a hiatal hernia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_hernia). Then they placed the PH probe, a wire down her nose into her esphogus and attached it to a pager looking thing that will monitor her for 16 hours. All the results will be calculated and biopsy results should be in by the end of the week and her medication will be adjusted accordingly. She will most likely have surgery to correct the hernia and the procedure to correct her bowel malrotation at the same time. She seems to be fine now and was very happy to eat after being hungry for 24 hours.

IEP - Oh my gosh!!! OVERWHELMING listening to all the reports on the girls for THREE HOURS! I will say this.. they are much loved by all and will be receiving lots and lots of therapy while in school. I will post more on this another day since I am EXHAUSTED.

Ta Ta for now.....

1 comment:

M William said...

Whew! I didn't know what to say the first time I read this. I feel so sorry for Lauren and you all over the IV tribulations. But it is good to know the results. A hiatal hernia is fairly common, according to Lydia, but the bowel malrotation is not encountered very often. I suppose she will have to drink fluids that will fluoresce under x-radiation to have any idea of how complicated the surgery will be. Usually, when something like this occurs in one identical twin, it pays to check it out in the other. However, in this TTTS case, they had such different developments that this rule probably does not apply. I hope Alison has no such problem.
The IEP session augurs well for the girls. I hope California has no severe budgetary problems that would affect the needs of special children.
Thinking of you all the time.
Love, Grandpa and Lydia